Wednesday, March 26, 2014

ReMoved

I have struggled this week with the foster care world. Lovebug's "Bro Bro" stayed with us over the weekend, because he was "in transition"

That's the polite way of saying they had no home for him.

His former foster family was not able to have him stay in the home, due to a variety of behaviors. And so he stayed with us from Thursday until Monday morning. The last thing I knew before he came to stay with us was that we needed to drop him at school on Monday morning. The case worker would take it from there.

Have you ever had to look into the eyes of a 12 year old and tell them "No, hunny, I'm sorry. I don't know where you'll be tonight"?

I have. They were some of the hardest words I've ever had to say.

And while my brain knows that our family is not equipped to handle him, for a variety of reasons, and that we were very clear about our inability to take older children going into this process, my heart breaks for him.

It's easy to turn down older children when you don't know them. Saying no to a child whom you know extremely well, and you are still tied to (and may possibly be for the rest of his life), is much. much. harder.

And then I saw this video today, and I've been a blubbering mess all day.

(Caution: there are graphic images of domestic violence)



ReMoved from HESCHLE on Vimeo.

2 comments: