Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The First Call: Questions to Ask Iowa KidsNet

I had mentioned in a previous post that during our PS-MAPP class, I had put together a list of questions to ask when we got our first phone call. Since Lovebug was an emergency placement that was only expected to stay for a few days to a week, I didn't end up using the sheet for her call. And since we're only ready for one little at this point, I haven't used the questions since.

But none-the-less, I think they are useful. I have a copy on my computer at work, on my Google drive (which I can access from my phone) and a printed copy in our family binder (more on that soon).

Here's the list of questions Dan and I decided were important to know in advance, when possible. Keep in mind, when children go into care (especially if it's an emergency removal), they don't always have all the answers to these questions. They will give you whatever information they have, when you ask the questions. There are some things, like race/ethnicity, that you must ask, if it matters to you. Discrimination laws prevent them from stating that information outright.

Name
Age:
Sex:
Age/DOB:
Race:
Legal Status:
Reason for Removal:
If abuse- what kind of abuse, severity:
Previous Placements or Parents History with DHS:
Siblings- How many, ages and status:
Physical Disabilities or Special Needs and Services Provided: 
Social Delays/Disabilities and Services Provided:
Dietary Needs: 
Health Needs (allergies, medications, etc.): 
Permanency Plan/Expected Length of Stay: 
Details on Visits with Birth Parents/Social Workers (supervised, length and frequency, child’s reaction, ect): 
Expectations with Birth Parents: 
Are they attending daycare- where and when: 
Is there anything I’ve forgotten that would be important to know for caring for this child: 


Hope this is helpful for someone! Soon I'll be compiling a section for tools on this blog, and it will include things like this, our Family Binder, organizing Lovebug's paperwork, etc. Come back soon and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment